President-elect Donald Trump’s nomination of CKE Restaurants CEO Andy Puzder to be the nation’s next Labor Secretary has won praise from small business groups, influential leaders, and organizations that champion free enterprise:
The Wall Street Journal: “Mr. Puzder knows that workers will benefit from less government intervention, which is why he’s the right man for the Labor job after eight slow-growth years that have left millions of workers desperate for a raise.”
- “The burger maven once told us that he often picked up litter around his restaurants, and departing chief Tom Perez is leaving plenty to clean up.”
Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN): “Mr. Puzder is a respected Tennessee business leader who understands how excessive regulation can destroy jobs and make it harder for family incomes to rise. I look forward to working with him to create an environment to help create jobs for more Americans. His nomination will be promptly considered by the Senate’s labor committee.”
Congresswoman Virginia Foxx (R-NC): “Andrew Puzder is a terrific choice to serve as the next secretary of labor. Through a long, distinguished career in the private sector, Mr. Puzder has a deep understanding of what it takes to create good-paying jobs and how federal policies can affect the ability of workers and employers to succeed.
- “Mr. Puzder will play a key role in delivering reforms that will help more Americans climb the ladder of opportunity after years of extreme regulations and sluggish economic growth.”
Congressman William Lacy Clay (D-MO): “Clay said he would keep an open mind on the nomination, even though the two disagree on Obamacare and other issues.”
- “‘We don’t agree on a lot of things when it comes to labor-management relations, but he is approachable and he keeps an open mind,’ Clay said.”
Congressman John Kline (R-MN): “I want to congratulate Andrew Puzder on his nomination to serve as the next labor secretary. His impressive record in the private sector will be extremely valuable as Congress continues to tackle the challenges facing working families and small businesses.”
- “I’m confident Mr. Puzder has the experience and leadership necessary to turn the page and advance positive reforms that will put our nation back on a path toward growth and prosperity.”
Congressman Bradley Byrne (R-AL): “Andy Puzder is the perfect choice to lead the Department of Labor as we advance commonsense policies that actually benefit American workers. As a businessman, he has seen firsthand how the policies of the last eight years have thwarted economic growth and hurt American families.
- “I am confident that under his leadership we can swing the pendulum of power away from Big Labor bosses and back in favor of American workers, and I look forward to partnering with him to advance that goal.”
Governor Jeb Bush (R-FL): “Another good pick: @AndyPuzder is a strong conservative leader and successful businessman who will do a phenomenal job as Labor Secretary.”
Dean Nancy Staudt, Washington University Law School: “Nancy Staudt, dean of the Washington University law school, where Puzder serves on an advisory council, calls him ‘an interesting and thoughtful man’ who frequently mentions his working-class upbringing in Cleveland.”
- “‘He talks a lot about this whole idea of hard work and opportunity, and thinks they are linked and that everybody needs a chance to succeed,’ Staudt told the Post-Dispatch.”
- “She said the attacks on Puzder’s positions do not reflect their nuance, and she predicted that Puzder’s critics will see a far more complex person than has been portrayed. On the minimum wage, for instance, Staudt said Puzder has ‘time and again’ said he favors gradual raises to benefit workers, but opposes abrupt and dramatic raises proposed by some labor advocates because they would hurt businesses enough to cost jobs.
International Franchise Association (IFA): “Andy would be an exceptional choice to lead the Labor Department and we applaud President-elect Trump for recognizing Andy’s business experience and policy acumen on so many issues impacting employers and employees in today’s economy.”
- “Puzder will be able to champion how the franchise business model, which generates a higher percentage of new jobs in the economy than non-franchises, are a key part of the solution to wage growth and upward mobility that so many voters are looking for out of policymakers in Washington.”
National Restaurant Association (NRA): “We are excited that Andy Puzder will serve as our nation’s next Secretary of Labor. He has a proven track record of turning around struggling businesses, and his background in the restaurant industry will help foster an environment for job creation.”
National Federation Of Independent Business (NFIB): “Small business owners are pleased that someone who knows what it takes to manage a successful company has been nominated to oversee the Department of Labor…Andy Puzder understands how these actions and other labor regulations directly harm American entrepreneurs and family businesses.”
National Retail Federation (NRF): “Andrew Puzder is someone with the real-world experience to understand workforce issues and how jobs are created. Mr. Puzder has been an ally in our efforts to emphasize the dynamic careers available in the retail and restaurant industries, and he would bring to the job his experience in balancing the needs of all stakeholders in the American workforce.”
Photo: Getty Images